Cataclysm Children

Official Forums of the WowScape Horde Guild Cataclysm Children

HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 

Project Well Tanking Guide for Learning Make Glorious Guild of Cataclysm Children.

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Tankwarning
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Number of posts : 115
Registration date : 2008-09-23

PostSubject: Project Well Tanking Guide for Learning Make Glorious Guild of Cataclysm Children.   Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:16 pm

Ok, now that some of you have decided to become tanks I've taken it upon myself to write a tanking guide for those of you who are new to the concept. This will be a basic guide as to the techniques that you need to use as well as what talents and weapons/gear you'll want to use.

*Note: due to my unfamiliarity with other tanking classes, this guide will only apply to warriors.

First things first. Weapons and gear.

You may have heard that there is better tanking gear out there than t6, this is true. For example, the Borderland Fotress Grips that drop from Felmyst are much better for tanking than the Onslaught Handguards. The good news is, the t6 Onslaught Armor is still very good for tanking and in fact, some parts of the Onslaught Armor are still the best tanking pieces in the game. The Onslaught Waistguard and the Onslaught Boots are good examples of this. You can check out this website for info on the best and latest tanking gear. *note the website already has support for Wrath of the Lich King so some of the items listed will not be supported by WoWscape for some time.

As far as weapons go, I'd have to say that The Unbreakable Will and Hand of the Deceiver are the best for tanking, although other weapons like Warglaive of Azzinoth and The Brutalizer work just fine as well.

With shields my (and most people's) vote would go to Bulwark of Azzinoth. However the Sword Breaker's Bulwark is a very close second, and you probably won't notice the difference so it'll probably come down to whichever one you think looks nicer. Kaz'rogal's Hardened Heart is worth mentioning, but both of the other shields are superior enough that you'd be better off with one of them.

With rings, I'd go with Ring of the Stalwart Protector and Band of the Eternal Defender. But you could also use Band of the Abyssmal Lord or Band of Eternity as well, as most of these rings are pretty comparable to each other.

Cloaks often go unnoticed on tanks and are highly underrated sources of stat boosts, and I would advise any tank to get one of the following three cloaks: Crimson Paragon's Cover, Slikk's Cloak of Placation or Gilded Thorium Cloak. There's also a nice cloak called Phoenix-Wing Cloak.

As far as gems and trinkets go, all tanks shoud have Shadowmoon Insignia and other good trinkets include Moroe's Lucky Pocket Watch (a personal favorite) and Ancient Agir Artifact. With gems, all blue sockets should have Solid Empyrean Sapphire for a sweet +15 stamina bonus, all yellow sockets need a Thick Lionseye for the defense rating boost they provide, all red sockets could use a Bold Crimson Spinel which will increase strength (increased strength improves your DPS as well as your block rating) and if you can find/afford one an Eternal Earthstorm Diamond should go in your meta socket.

Ok got it. Now let's talk talents.

To put it simply, any tank worth his salt will have most of his talent points in the Protection spec, which is specifically designed with tanking in mind. The protection spec has talents that increase your dodge, armor and threat generation just to name a few things. Most of the rest of your talent points should be in the arms catergory, which has talents that will increase your stun resist and parry rating.

If you want to play around with your talent points, you can always go talk to a warrior trainer to reset them or if you don't want to spend the gold you can go here for the current talent tree supported by WoWscape.

Here's a suggestion as far as a tanking talent spec should look:

Protection Talents (43 points)

Anticipation - 5/5 points
Increases your Defense skill by 20 .

Shield Specialization - 5/5 points
Increases your chance to block attacks with a shield by 5% and has a 100% chance to generate 1 rage when a block occurs.

Toughness - 5/5 points
Increases your armor value from items by 10%.

Last Stand - 1/1 points
Instant cast
8 minute cooldown
When activated, this ability temporarily grants you 30% of your maximum hit points for 20 seconds. After the effect expires, the hit points are lost.

Improved Shield Block - 1/1 points
Allows your Shield Block ability to block an additional attack, and increases the duration by 1 seconds.

Improved Revenge - 3/3 points
Gives your Revenge ability a 45% chance to stun the target for 3 seconds.

Defiance - 3/3 points
Increases the threat generated by your attacks by 15% while in Defensive Stance.

Improved Taunt - 2/2 points
Reduces the cooldown of your Taunt ability by 2 seconds.

Improved Shield Wall - 2/2 points
Increases the effect duration of your Shield Wall ability by 5 seconds.

Concussion Blow - 1/1 points
15 Rage
5 yard range
Instant
45 second cooldown
Requires Melee Weapon
Stuns the opponent for 5 seconds.

Shield Mastery - 3/3 points
Increases the amount of damage absorbed by your shield by 30%.

One-Handed Weapon Specialization - 5/5 points
Increases the damage you deal with One-Handed Melee weapons by 10%.

Shield Slam - 1/1 points
30 Rage
Instant
5 yard range
6 second cooldown
Requires Shields
Slam the target with your shield, causing 288 to 352 damage and has a 50% chance of dispelling 1 magic effect on the target. Also causes a moderate amount of threat.

Level 48: 342 to 418 damage
Level 54: 396 to 484 damage
Level 60: 450 to 550 damage

Vitality - 5/5 points
Increases your stamina by 5% and your Strength by 10%.

Devastate - 1/1 points
15 Rage
Instant
5 yard range
Requires one-handed melee weapon
An instant weapon attack that causes 50% of weapon damage plus 15 and additional threat for each application of Sunder Armor on the target. In addition, this attack will renew the duration of Sunder Armor effect.

Rank 2: +25 damage
Rank 3: +35 damage

Arms Talents (18 points)

Improved Heroic Strike - 3/3 points
Reduces the cost of your Heroic Strike ability by 3 rage rage point.

Deflection - 5/5 points
Increases your Parry chance by 5%.

Iron Will - 2/5 points
Increases your chance to resist stun and charm effects by 6%.

Improved Thunder Clap - 3/3 points
Reduces the cost of your Thunder Clap ability by 4 rage point and increases the damage by 100 % and the slowing effect by an additional 10 %.

Deep Wounds - 3/3 points
Your critical strikes cause the opponent to bleed, dealing 60% of your melee weapon's average damage over 12 seconds.

Impale - 2/2 points
Increases the critical strike damage bonus of your abilities in Battle, Defensive, and Berserker stance by 20%.

Fury Talents (0 points)

Ok great! I feel like a badass tank already! But what about attacks? which ones should I use?

There's two different mindsets you need to be in while you're tanking. Your mindset will either be A. I'm attacking and holding aggro on two or more targets or B. I'm attacking and holding aggro on one target.

A. I'm attacking and holding aggro on two or more targets.

This is often the most difficult situation. Of course, as the tank, it's your job to hold aggro on as many of the mobs as possible. Don't beat yourself up if you lose aggro on one or two of them especially if it's a large (6 or more) group of mobs, as this is common and is usually either because someone attacked the wrong target or because your healer was overhealing. When faced with a group of two or more mobs you need to be using Thunder Clap and Cleave primarily, because both attacks hit more than one target and help you hold aggro on the group. Don't worry about dealing a lot of damage or switching stances to perform execute, just keep spamming those two attacks and if you notice that you have extra rage then try using Heroic Strike to dump some of it off.

If one of the mobs breaks away from your aggro and starts attacking one of the DPS people don't fret, that's not your problem. If they were doing what they were supposed to do and attacking your target then they wouldn't have pulled aggro. If one of the mobs breaks off and attacks your healer however, then you need to do something about that. As fast as you can, turn around and find the mob that's attacking your healer and use Taunt to take the aggro back. Keep in mind that the effect of taunt is temporary so you need to make sure that you either kill that target or maintain the aggro on it until you do.

B. I'm attacking and holding aggro on one target.

This mindset is either for taking on single mobs one at a time or, most importantly, boss battles. These are actually relatively simple, if a little tedious, on your part. You have to concentrate on dealing as much threat and as much damage as possible. You'll basically be cycling through four attacks over and over again. try using this cycle: Devastate, Revenge, Shield Slam and Heroic Strike. Once the boss drops below 20% health, change stances to battle stance and spam the shit out of Execute until the target is dead.

Awesome. I bet now that I know all that I can take Illidian Stormrage easy. Anything else I should know?

Just some quick pointers and sage advice from one tank to another:

• Don't EVER let yourself get attacked from behind. As a tank this is especially important because you can't block, dodge or parry when hit from behind and even a very well geared tank won't stay alive long if he's getting hit from behind. This can be hard when you're fighting a large group because some of the mobs will inevitably try to hit you from behind, so if that happens try to maneuver yourself to where they're all in front of you or if that doesn't work try backing up into a wall. It'll reduce your visability but at least they won't be hitting your back.
  • Stay in defensive stance while tanking. The ONLY time you should leave defensive stance is when the boss is below 20% so you can switch to battle stance and spam execute.
  • You won't always be able to switch stances on every boss to spam execute. When you leave defensive stance you increase all damage that you take by 10%. On especially hard hitting bosses like Archimonde, Illidian Stormrage and Kil'jaeden this may not be feasible for you, especially if heals were a problem for the first 80% of the fight. Don't risk dying and having the raid wipe just to do more DPS.
  • Keep track of your gear's durability. This can be very annoying for the whole group if you started a raid with your items damaged and have to leave to get repairs. Always keep your gear in good condition because if the armor's broken not only do you not get the armor bonus you also don't get any other bonuses from that broken item.
  • Communicate and coordinate with your healers. Let them know if one of your items becomes damaged or when you're switching stances because they need to be prepared for any changes.
  • Try not to move around a lot. Unless you need to maneuver around to get a mob off your back or pull a boss back stay put. It helps the healers and the raid leader to know where you are at all times so once you're in a good spot stay there.
  • Don't forget your shouts! Remember to keep up your Commanding Shout and coordinate with the other members in your group concerning shouts and attack/or defense bonuses.
  • Try to familiarize yourself with the other classes and what buffs they can give you and call for them as nessesary. For example, paladins give a great buff that tanks can use called Greater Blessing of Kings and druids can give Mark of the Wild and Gift of the Wild.
  • In my personal opinion, Taurens make the best warrior tanks because of their increased hp (+5% racial passive bonus) and the War Stomp ability. Their imposing size and horns also make them look more menacing and I think because of this people are more inclined to have faith in a Tauren warrior tank. However, Orcs, Undead and Trolls also make great warriors and very capable tanks in their own right, so don't feel like you have to make your tank a Tauren.
  • Filling up all your sockets is VERY important. If you have empty sockets that's basically wasted space and therefore a wasted bonus. For example, if you have 4 empty blue sockets then you're missing out on the +60 stamina bonus you could be getting from 4 Solid Empyrean Sapphires! That's 600 hit points you're missing out on!
  • You'll also probably want to get in touch with an enchanter to get some enchants like +5 to all stats on chest, +12 strength to gloves, +150 hit points to chest ect. ect. You'll also want to contact a leatherworker and get Nethercleft Leg Armor which is pretty much a must for tanks.

Ok guys I hope that covers everything. I may update this if nessesary if there's anything I forgot and remember that you can hit me up in game for questions!

Last edited by Tankwarning on Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.myspace.com/cataclysmic_wretch
Vedil
Social Butterfly
Social Butterfly

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2008-09-30

PostSubject: Re: Project Well Tanking Guide for Learning Make Glorious Guild of Cataclysm Children.   Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:26 pm

Wow thats a pretty good guide I have a warrior That I planed to turn into a tank but I did not
know wtf I was doing so he's stuck in a infinite limbo at lev 30 but after reading this I might level him also I live for pvp how good is a warrior tank or warriors in general in pvp.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Boatlightz
Mindless Ramblings
Mindless Ramblings

Number of posts : 91
Registration date : 2008-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Project Well Tanking Guide for Learning Make Glorious Guild of Cataclysm Children.   Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:10 pm

http://www.wowinsider.com/2007/09/04/the-light-and-how-to-swing-it-how-to-tank-as-a-paladin/

Tanking guide for paladins. Not quite as detail-driven as yours, but a good strategy guide nonetheless.

Mindless Ramblings
Mindless Ramblings

Number of posts : 82
Registration date : 2008-09-20

PostSubject: Re: Project Well Tanking Guide for Learning Make Glorious Guild of Cataclysm Children.   Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:17 pm

Very nice Tank, this will help me out a bunch with my Warrior.

Now if only the fucking server would be online right now.. T_T ..

Social Butterfly
Social Butterfly

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2008-10-02

PostSubject: Re: Project Well Tanking Guide for Learning Make Glorious Guild of Cataclysm Children.   Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:06 am

Just by looking at the shields, I would say that the SW shield is slightly better than the BT shield if only because it has a socket. Jabesy is a JC btw so I can cut gems for the prospective tanks
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tankwarning
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Number of posts : 115
Registration date : 2008-09-23

PostSubject: Re: Project Well Tanking Guide for Learning Make Glorious Guild of Cataclysm Children.   Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:27 am

jabes wrote:
Just by looking at the shields, I would say that the SW shield is slightly better than the BT shield if only because it has a socket.

Ah yes but the socket is relatively minor compared to the Bulwark of Azzinoth's passive ability to increase your armor by 2000 for 10 seconds 2% of the time that you are struck in combat. Having used both shields extensively I can honestly tell you though that there's practically no difference, as the Bulwark of Azzinoth's armor buff only pops up just enough to make it useful and the other shield's socket has a pretty comparable usefulness.

Tankwarning - Lvl 70 Tauren Protection Warrior
Ethyne - Lvl 70 Blood Elf Holy Paladin
Kalinea - Lvl 70 Blood Elf Combat Rogue
Eethyne - Lvl 70 Orc Beast Master Hunter
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.myspace.com/cataclysmic_wretch
Jaezin
Mindless Ramblings
Mindless Ramblings

Number of posts : 57
Registration date : 2008-09-19

PostSubject: Re: Project Well Tanking Guide for Learning Make Glorious Guild of Cataclysm Children.   Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:48 pm

Beautiful! I finally get some time to get online for a bit, AND have a guide from my Tanky-poo, and the server is down! HAHAHA

The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world's problems.
-Mahatma Ghandi

Put the fucking lotion in the basket!
-Jame "Buffalo Bill" Gumb
Back to top Go down
View user profile
HarleyQuinnz
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Number of posts : 131
Registration date : 2008-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Project Well Tanking Guide for Learning Make Glorious Guild of Cataclysm Children.   Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:37 pm

Yeah, jay you have a full donor tank and haven't utilized it yet. Tsk tsk. Sad

Alts:

Ashkah<->Troll<->Holy Priest<->6/8
Nomonmycooki<->Troll<->Elemental Sham<->6/8
Kittychan<->Undead<->Fury/Pro Warrior<->6/8
Empusa<->BE<->Retri<->Paladin<->2/8
Harleyquinnz<->BE<->Marks<->Hunter<->7/8
LilRedridin<->BE<->Fire<->Mage<->2/8
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.myspace.com/spawnosatan
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Project Well Tanking Guide for Learning Make Glorious Guild of Cataclysm Children.   

Back to top Go down

Project Well Tanking Guide for Learning Make Glorious Guild of Cataclysm Children.
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Cataclysm Children :: WoW Related Stuff-
Jump to: